So, how can we think more about putting earth and nature first in the future? I have some ideas…
1. Embrace a conservation mindset: We need to shift our thinking from a consumption-based mindset to a conservation-based one. That means valuing the earth’s natural resources and recognizing that they are finite. We need to prioritize conservation over extraction, preservation over development, and sustainability over short-term gain.
2. Support local conservation efforts: We can make a difference in our own communities by supporting local conservation efforts, such as volunteering at a local park, donating to a conservation organization or advocating for stronger environmental policies.
3. Choose sustainable products and practices: We can reduce our environmental impact by choosing sustainable products and practices, such as using reusable water bottles, shopping locally and sustainably, and reducing our energy consumption—both at home and when we travel.
4. Vote for the environment: We can use our political power to advocate for stronger environmental protections and hold our leaders accountable for their environmental policies.
5. Educate ourselves and others: We can learn about environmental issues and share that knowledge with others—whether it’s through social media, conversations with friends and family or community events.
6. Connect with nature: We can cultivate a deeper appreciation for the environment by spending time in nature. Going outside is a surefire way to ensure we care about what’s happening outside.