Adventure.com is committed to maintaining the highest editorial standards across all of our channels and editorial output.
We adhere to the Australian Media, Entertainment & Arts Alliance (MEAA) Code of Ethics, which are based on the four core principles of honesty, fairness, independence and respect for the rights of others.
Although Adventure.com is owned by Intrepid, the content on this website is not reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by Intrepid Travel. Any content that features Intrepid will be clearly labeled for readers with a ‘Brought to you by Intrepid’ banner. The same is true for any other content that has been sponsored or paid for by third-party interests.
In the event a contributor has been provided with a press trip/famil/experience from a provider free of charge, this will be stipulated at the bottom of an article.
The MEAA standards stipulate the following:
1. Report and interpret honestly, striving for accuracy, fairness and disclosure of all essential facts. Do not suppress relevant available facts, or give distorting emphasis. Do your utmost to give a fair opportunity for reply.
2. Do not place unnecessary emphasis on personal characteristics, including race, ethnicity, nationality, gender, age, sexual orientation, family relationships, religious belief, or physical or intellectual disability.
3. Aim to attribute information to its source. Where a source seeks anonymity, do not agree without first considering the source’s motives and any alternative attributable source. Where confidences are accepted, respect them in all circumstances.
4. Do not allow personal interest, or any belief, commitment, payment, gift or benefit, to undermine your accuracy, fairness or independence.
5. Disclose conflicts of interest that affect, or could be seen to affect, the accuracy, fairness or independence of your journalism. Do not improperly use a journalistic position for personal gain.
6. Do not allow advertising or other commercial considerations to undermine accuracy, fairness or independence.
7. Do your utmost to ensure disclosure of any direct or indirect payment made for interviews, pictures, information or stories.
8. Use fair, responsible and honest means to obtain material. Identify yourself and your employer before obtaining any interview for publication or broadcast. Never exploit a person’s vulnerability or ignorance of media practice.
9. Present pictures and sound which are true and accurate. Any manipulation likely to mislead should be disclosed.
10. Do not plagiarize.
11. Respect private grief and personal privacy. Journalists have the right to resist compulsion to intrude.
12. Do your utmost to achieve fair correction of errors.